• Welcome to Chester County Bass Masters.

News:

Welcome to the CCBM Forums!  Club meetings are the third Thursday in every month. See http://www.chestercountybassmasters.com/ for more info.

Main Menu

Balancing a trailer

Started by Pillager, March 14, 2009, 11:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pillager

My trailer has way too much tongue weight.  Who knows what measurements you have to make sure are equal to move the wheels forward a bit and still have the trailer follow right?
18' 2003 Crestliner 1850 Fishhawk
150 hp Merc XR6

It pays to be an optimist.  Even if you are wrong, you are happy about it.

"Quit bitchin, keep fishin"

I fish, therefore I am.

Basscat7

Dave,  if you have a bolt on Winch bracket it is far easier to move that an inch or so and change the boat balance point than to move the wheels...
Golf is for guys whose wives won't let them buy a bass boat

Bass Fishing is like Church, many attend - Few get it.

Pillager

The problem is I need to move it a foot or more.
150 hp Merc XR6

I fish, therefore I am.

Basscat7

Quote from: Pillager on March 14, 2009, 11:39:03 AM
The problem is I need to move it a foot or more.

If you have the movable winch stand try that...you might get enough in a couple of inches to lighten the tongue weight to a usable factor.  Moving the wheels would be a last resort.

If you have to do that, mark the trailer frame where the exisitng bracket is and measure from there, twice ....
Take the boat out and launch and tie it up , make it real easy to mark the frame and move the wheel brackets.
Golf is for guys whose wives won't let them buy a bass boat

Bass Fishing is like Church, many attend - Few get it.

Pillager

Well I moved the winch stand.  About 8 inches or so, it can't go any further back.  Also realigned the winch spool.  Now at least I can grunt and strain and lift the tongue.  I couldn't budge it before.  It will be heavier with a full tank of gas, but it's at least close to 200lb now.
150 hp Merc XR6

I fish, therefore I am.

Pillager

Well I had the boat in replacing the throttle and shifter cables and complained about the trailer.  They agreed and since they sold me the trailer they made adjustments with no additional charge to me.  Much better now.  They also told me that the boat shouldn't hang off the back of the bunks or rollers more than about 3" or it puts extra strain on the transom.
150 hp Merc XR6

I fish, therefore I am.

bassboogieman

That's fair, or actually they should have been sure it was set correctly before you took it home.  I didn't make the association that this was the NEW trailer you were originally posting about.  Glad they took care of you.  I may need a new one in a year or so, and I'm either going with a galvanized or armorcoated rail style trailer.  No more tube trailers for me.
Triton TR-21DC & Yamaha 225
Dodge RAM Quadcab 5.7L HEMI
My claim to fame:  I threw a borrowed G. Loomis overboard

Pillager

Well this one is a tube, but the ends are open for good drainage, and of course it's galvanized.
150 hp Merc XR6

I fish, therefore I am.