• Welcome to Chester County Bass Masters.

News:

Welcome to the CCBM Forums!  Club meetings are the third Thursday in every month. See http://www.chestercountybassmasters.com/ for more info.

Main Menu

2009 Kistler Helium LTA

Started by bassboogieman, October 17, 2009, 02:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassboogieman

Well it had to happen, I succumbed to the curiosity and bought a new model LTA spinning rod.  I had to see what the new X-fast action was like.  I chose a spinning rod because I was looking for a 6'9" MH, and also wanted to try the split handle on a spinning rod.  That's the reason behind the choice.

The split handle - I have several of the Argon with the split handle and still think I prefer the full cork, especially when using two hands casting crankbaits (ever since the INFAMOUS day at Kerr), two hands feel more appropriate for me when using the longer (7' +) lengths.  The two 6'9" MH Argon's I'm using for Senko and T-rig worms, the split handle isn't as much of a distraction - I'm usually one hand casting those and the exposed rod is only a couple inches between the handle and butt knob.  But the split handle on the spinning is fine, don't know why.  It's like reeling left handed with a spinning reel and right handed with a casting reel - it just feels RIGHT.  The handle is made from really nice burled cork, green (burl) in color, the same cork the butt caps were made from on the '08 LTA's.  Handle is comfortable with a small piece of foam at the rear of the handle and the butt cap.

Guides have been changed from the blue zircon inserts to  FUJIĀ® SIC Silicon Carbide guide rings.  I liked the zircon, they were distinctive, but the new ones are premium guides with virtually unnoticable difference when casting.

The rod - important stuff this is.  The new LTA is noticalby stiffer, the X-fast action is immediately noticable with the first cast.  To me it takes a bit more effort to load the rod and make a cast, the older fast action LTA, was very easy to cast, little effort is required to make a smooth long cast.  Possibly after getting more acustomed to the new rod it may become (or seem) easier to get similiar performance.  But at this point I find the older rod easier to cast, possibly because of familiarity.  The rod is extremely light, under 4 ounces, and I paired it with a Pflueger Supreme magnesium frame reel spooled with 20# braid, and it's a nice pairing. The combo comes in at around 12 ounces.  NO DAVE, I'm not going to see if it will FLOAT.

Sensitivity - a high point of Kistler rods, and the X-fast will supposedly improve that.  I can't say I find it
any more sensitive than my older LTA's.  I've only had this rod a few days, fished a couple with it and I'm going to keep it.  I think I could adapt very easily to the split handle on a spinning rod, this one (handle) feels pretty darn good.  The rod overall, would rank behind the pre-'09 LTA's for my taste, due to the fast action suiting my preferences for ease and accuracy of casting.

After having tried a new LTA, I think what I was told earlier that the Argon rod is the closest comparable rod to the older LTA is accurate.  I have a couple of the 6'9" MH casting rods to compare to the older 6'9" MH LTA casting rod.  The Argon's behave similiarly in casting, the feel when fishing a Senko or worm is virtually identical, and they handle a fish equally well.  They are marginally heavier than the LTA, due to a thicker walled blank, supposedly to improve their durability, something that I haven't had issues with.  But that difference in weight (a mere 1/4 oz or so) is not noticalbe, to me anyway.

Between the new Kistler rods, my choice would be the Argon series of rods, especially for casting rods.  Spinning rods - I could go with the LTA, there is a better selection of spinning rods in the LTA line, than the Argon.  But for now, I'm keeping the older LTA's as my preferred spinning rod.  Now, if I only had the nerve to have the handles changed on those older rods............................ :rolleyes:
Triton TR-21DC & Yamaha 225
Dodge RAM Quadcab 5.7L HEMI
My claim to fame:  I threw a borrowed G. Loomis overboard

fishinjim

good, thorough, review there mr. boogieman.
kistler should be giving you some kickbacks.
:grin:

Pillager

Now he's clairvoyant!

Ok, ok, try this:

"can you hear me now?"
18' 2003 Crestliner 1850 Fishhawk
150 hp Merc XR6

It pays to be an optimist.  Even if you are wrong, you are happy about it.

"Quit bitchin, keep fishin"

I fish, therefore I am.

bassboogieman

QuoteNow he's clairvoyant!

Not at all, you're just predictable.  :rolleyes:  Especially with the expert lead in.................  :evil:

bassboogieman

Quote"can you hear me now?"

It's not that I can't hear you Dave  :rolleyes: I'm just ignoring you.  :undecided:

Anyway, I'll have to wait until spring to see how the new LTX rods perform.  I've finally embraced the spilt grip - for spinning rods anyway.  The old LTA spinning rods have gone to the closet in favor of the new LTA and the LTX.  I've paired them with the Pflueger Supreme MG and XT reels - the older LTA's were really nice, but the LTX is amazingly light when mated with this reel.  I was playing with one the other day when one of the cats pounced on a rabbit hair jig, MAN WAS THAT FUN - until my wife came downstairs.  I'll have the cast off in time for Christmas. :rolleyes: