• Welcome to Chester County Bass Masters.

News:

Welcome to the CCBM Forums!  Club meetings are the third Thursday in every month. See http://www.chestercountybassmasters.com/ for more info.

Main Menu

Potomac River - New off limits area surounding Quantico Marine base

Started by Basscat7, February 06, 2011, 10:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basscat7

For those that fish the Potomac River there will be a larger off limits area surrounding the Quantico Marine base on the VA. side.
The restricted area will include Chopawamsic Creek and the Inside banks of Chopawamsic island North of the Base.

SUMMARY: The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) is amending its regulations to establish a restricted area in the waters of the Potomac River
extending offshore from the Marine Corps Air Facility (MCAF) at Marine
Corps Base Quantico (MCB Quantico), located in Quantico, Virginia. The
restricted area will address current security needs at MCB Quantico,
including the protection of military assets at MCAF which includes the
Presidential Helicopter Squadron (HMX–1). The restricted area will also
protect public health by preventing vessels from disturbing a planned
environmental remediation area that is located to the northeast of MCAF.

DATES: Effective date: March 7, 2011.

ADDRESSES: Headquarters, U.S. Army
Corps of Engineers, Operations and
Regulatory Community of Practice, 441
G Street, NW., Washington, DC 20314–

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Mr. David Olson, Headquarters, Operations and Regulatory Community of Practice, Washington, DC at 202–761–4922 or by e-mail at david.b.olson@usace.army.mil or Mr. Steve Elinsky, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Baltimore District, Regulatory Branch, at 410–962–4503 or by e-mail at steve.elinsky@usace.army.mil.

Golf is for guys whose wives won't let them buy a bass boat

Bass Fishing is like Church, many attend - Few get it.

bassboogieman

Saw that elsewhere, but I've never been in that area.  Good to know though, don't want the Marines comming after ya! :o
Triton TR-21DC & Yamaha 225
Dodge RAM Quadcab 5.7L HEMI
My claim to fame:  I threw a borrowed G. Loomis overboard

Basscat7

Quote from: bassboogieman on February 06, 2011, 10:59:58 AM
Saw that elsewhere, but I've never been in that area.  Good to know though, don't want the Marines comming after ya! :o

That was one of the best areas of the river in certain years, the area behind the island was a shallow grass filled bay with small rock piles in it that would hold a lot of bass.
Before  9/11 you were able to fish it right up to the fence line at the runway/hangar area and watch the Marine choppers holding practice runs.
The Creek was really good too once you went inside the canal.  Supposedly there will be a boom place around the creek/canal entrance to prohibit entry there.

fishinjim

I spent a TON of time in that area last year.
I will not be missing fishing those waters.  lol.

Basscat7

Quote from: fishinjim on February 06, 2011, 05:50:58 PM
I spent a TON of time in that area last year.
I will not be missing fishing those waters.  lol.

That bay at the end of the runway is/was one of the better areas on that side of the river, almost a clone of Furnace Bay with the shallow vegetation.

Lot of guys like that canal heading into Chopawamsic creek too, ever go back into the creek  thru the canal ?

Xm Sean

This is a great view of the off limit waters.... They should have a full map stating ALL of the off limit areas on the Potomac. If you do not know the waters and have no time to prefish  you might end up with a plan to fish certain waters and be real disappointed  come tx day when you are being persude  by some F-17's.... :o

fishinjim

Quote from: Basscat7 on February 06, 2011, 06:29:24 PM
Lot of guys like that canal heading into Chopawamsic creek too, ever go back into the creek  thru the canal ?

Didn't go back there, but talked to some who did.  Plenty of stuff to fish on the outside to keep me and others busy hauling water.

fishinjim

Quote from: Xm Sean on February 07, 2011, 09:00:28 AM
This is a great view of the off limit waters.... They should have a full map stating ALL of the off limit areas on the Potomac. If you do not know the waters and have no time to prefish  you might end up with a plan to fish certain waters and be real disappointed  come tx day when you are being persude  by some F-17's.... :o

They've handed out maps before at the Mr Bass tournament.  I think they're provided by DNR.
I'll try to save mine if they give them out again.
Can't remember if there's much in the way of military off limits... spawning areas in Nanjemoy and Chick seem to be the major concern.
Some of the military stuff is marked on hotmaps or your Navionics chip.  ie... docks up in pohick.

Xm Sean

Quote from: fishinjim on February 07, 2011, 12:53:01 PM
Quote from: Xm Sean on February 07, 2011, 09:00:28 AM

They've handed out maps before at the Mr Bass tournament.  I think they're provided by DNR.
I'll try to save mine if they give them out again.

Thanks Cheech ;D