• Welcome to Chester County Bass Masters.

News:

Welcome to the CCBM Forums!  Club meetings are the third Thursday in every month. See http://www.chestercountybassmasters.com/ for more info.

Main Menu

"Sustainability" in bass fishing

Started by Pedro, June 04, 2015, 09:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedro

Hello everyone,
I'm doing an assignment for school and my paper is on sustainability and how it relates to a career field (bass fishing) ...boring right?? Anyway, to make it less boring, I decided to tie fishing with sustainability.

I need some input from you guys, so how do you guys think that sustainability ties in with bass fishing?

I have catch-and-release, state regulations including size and bag limit, the methods used to weight fish at tournaments...what else? Anything helps

Thanks, my grade and I appreciate it  ;D :)
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Eli

Large tournaments use a live release boat to redistribute the fish away from the ramp.

nick b

Pedro,

If you are looking a broad measures, I think that sport fishermen should be more organized and active politically to:
1. Raise the profile of the sport, the economic benefits of it, and the efforts needed to sustain it. 
2. Support politicians and legislation which are committed to preserving the habitat and the species.  This would include increased support state appropriation of funds for wild life conservation and research, support for ecologically sound development practices and pollution control.  Conversely, actively condemning those politicians and laws that do the opposite.
3. Better enforcement of existing regulations.
4. Economic support for, and pressure on, industry manufacturers to create products that contribute to sustainability.

On a more specific level, here are a few ideas i have:
1. A non piercing culling system.
2. Improved live-well technology
3. Recovery tanks at tournaments
4. better bag technology, incorporated aerators perhaps?
5. Better basic education on handling fish and their care while in a fisherman's possession.
6. A Special license for tournament fishing, funds to go exclusively to preservation, repair and restocking efforts affected fisheries.

Hope this helps.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a fish...

Pedro

That is more than enough, thanks that was GREAT information... my grade and I appreciate it
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."