• Welcome to Chester County Bass Masters.

News:

Welcome to the CCBM Forums!  Club meetings are the third Thursday in every month. See http://www.chestercountybassmasters.com/ for more info.

Main Menu

Things are getting bad down South

Started by bassboogieman, December 25, 2007, 07:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassboogieman

Lake Lanier, in Georgia has been closed.  No fishing access as the Lake is now 19' below normal and continuing to drop.  This lake supplies water to the residents of Atlanta.  Hopefully the drought will break soon, or the guys down south may be headed north this summer to wet a line.  Related story:  http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/24/southern.drought.ap/index.html
Triton TR-21DC & Yamaha 225
Dodge RAM Quadcab 5.7L HEMI
My claim to fame:  I threw a borrowed G. Loomis overboard

DaveB

I'm sure they closed the fishing due to the concentration of fish in a much smaller pool being easier to catch -- may get fished out if left without closing it.  If I were a local, or even a tourney angler who plans to fish the lake once (and if) it returns to normal pool, I'd be drawing maps, taking pictures and noting otherwise fish attracting cover/structure.  I used to do this at Sayers Lake in Central PA.  They'd drop the lake about 15 - 20' in the winter to make room for spring melting snow and rain.  Not sure if they do this anymore as snowfall has been minimal over the last 10 - 15 years.  I'm sure a result of global warming!

Pillager

They still drop it, but maybe not as much.  I was just reading something about the draw down there a few weeks ago.
18' 2003 Crestliner 1850 Fishhawk
150 hp Merc XR6

It pays to be an optimist.  Even if you are wrong, you are happy about it.

"Quit bitchin, keep fishin"

I fish, therefore I am.

DaveB

They are not dropping it on purpose!  This is due to the drought.

Pillager

150 hp Merc XR6

I fish, therefore I am.

bassboogieman

The people around Lake Lanier are pissed at all the "JUNK" being exposed along the shoreline - y'know old Christmas trees, cinder blocks, rocks - PLACED THERE AS FISH STRUCTURE, no doubt.  Yes, there is some junk like cars, lawn chairs and such, but those idiots are gung-ho on "cleaning up" ALL the stuff, so when/if the water level comes back up it will take years to get the lake back to where it was before the drought.  And they are the ones getting the press, to get the lake "cleaned up" while they have a chance, no one is speaking up on behalf of the local fishermen - UNBELIEVABLE.

Eli

There goes all of their good waypoints...

Pillager

I say when Lanier comes back up we drive booger's truck in the lake for some instant structure and create our own private way point.  And since he won't have a tow vehicle maybe we should just sink is boat at another spot while we're at it.
150 hp Merc XR6

I fish, therefore I am.

bassboogieman

I have contributed to the lake bottom already, as you are often so kind to remind me.......... I think it's your turn to contribue.  Anybody got a couple buckets, I'll bring the cement.  New shoes Pillager?