• Welcome to Chester County Bass Masters.

News:

Welcome to the CCBM Forums!  Club meetings are the third Thursday in every month. See http://www.chestercountybassmasters.com/ for more info.

Main Menu

Texas Angler was caught cheating in a Big Bass tournament with a 50 K bass boat

Started by Basscat7, October 26, 2009, 05:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basscat7

Texas Angler was caught cheating in a Big Bass tournament with a  50 K bass boat as first prize.

Official Press Release from this weekends tournament:

Bud Light Trail News Release (10-25-2009)
USA Bass Trails officials, who manage and own the Bud Light Trail (BLT) bass fishing tournament program, would like to release a statement regarding the disqualification of one of the contestants from the Lake Ray Hubbard Big Bass Tournament held on October 24, 2009. Statements have been withheld until now in order to ensure all the facts were obtained and the information was given to the proper law enforcement authorities.

During an hourly weigh in at the BLT Ray Hubbard Big Bass Tournament an angler brought a large fish to the weigh in check point. The fish was transferred from the weigh bag containing the fish to the official weigh bag. The BLT Tournament Director, after weighing the fish, asked that the fish be put in a holding tank behind the weigh in stage. This fish would have been the largest fish of the hour. After the hourly weigh in was completed the angler was asked to take a polygraph. This is required for all participants who catch the biggest bass of the hour. During inspection of the fish, by the fish handler and the tournament director, irregularities were discovered. A decision was made by tournament officials to interrupt the polygraph and have the angler and polygraph examiner witness an inspection of the bass. The angler was asked to remove the contents in the stomach of the bass or the contents would be inspected by BLT officials by whatever means possible. The angler chose to remove the contents and a lead weight was removed from inside the fish and handed to a tournament official. The angler then apologized to all who witnessed the removal of the lead weight. He was notified by the tournament director that he was disqualified. No objection or explanation was given by the angler as he left the weigh in location. The fish and lead weight were then reweighed separately and pictures were taken. The Texas Game Wardens were immediately notified. Statements were given by tournament officials and all evidence was given to the Texas Game Wardens.

All of us involved with the BLT program are saddened by this situation and the impact it may have on the angler, his family and friends. The BLT officials will cooperate with the legal authorities as they proceed with the evidence provided to the Game Wardens. The BLT officials, speaking both as anglers and tournament providers, want our anglers and sponsors to know that we will do our best to provide a fair and honest tournament event. We wish to thank all the anglers who have fished with us this year and hope that you will continue to do so.

Thank you,
USA Bass Trails/Bud Light Trail Officials

He apparently stuffed a one pound lead weight down the gullet of a big bass and brought it to the scales.

He has won over $ 250,000.00 in the past few years fishing the Large ( 200 - 300 boat ) tournament circuits in Texas.
Robby Rose Won 3 new Skeeter Bass boats in 3 years in a Skeeter sponsored Team Tournament trail while fishing alone. Officials heard rumors of cheating................ When asked to take an observer in His boat last year, He declined and did not fish the tournament  circuit again.

Won most big money tournaments fishing alone, or with His brother as His partner.

Quote from another TX angler in Bass Champs  (another 250 boat TX circuit )

"He won $132,000 fishing the Bass Champs circuit. He is the all time leading money winner in that circuit. They have a TV show and they usually film a well known team on the 1st day and then go out with the 1st day leaders and film them on the second day.
During one tournament, he was leading after day one so they had the camera guy film him for day 2. He caught 2 dinks.
During another tournament, on Falcon Lake no less, the camera guy was with him on day one. He sucked and didn't catch squat. (That's VERY hard to do on Falcon, if you can fish AT ALL). The 2nd day, the camera guy of course goes out with the day one leaders and lo and behold, Robby comes in with a huge stringer, including a 10 pounder !!!!!! "

Skeeter Bass Champs North Texas Team Trail held their third stop on Lake Lewisville April 16th. The lake was barraged with 220 boats heading out to win almost $70,000 in cash and prizes. Fishing alone, Robby Rose pulled in the only sack over 20 lbs, and won his third brand new Skeeter SX200 / Yamaha 200 V-Max bass rig from Bass Champs valued at $34,000.
1st place winner Robby Rose fished by himself and managed a 20.10 lb sack, a full four pounds ahead of 2nd place. "The shad have been spawning all over the lake. During practice, I got on a crankbait pattern and relied on it coming into the tournament. I was throwing an Excalibur Fat Free Guppy in a shad pattern on the North end at a secondary point and caught a couple early on it. That pattern diminished, and I had to scramble. The wind picked up and the shallow water warmed so I headed south. I went behind the marinas and fished along the walkways. I knew when the water warmed up the big fish would get there. It was a real funny bite, they didn't want a moving bait. I started dead sticking a watermelon red Senko with a swivel 1 foot above the hook. It was a working pattern, and I was able to finish up my limit." Robby Rose still holds the Bass Champs record for largest stringer brought in at a Bass Champs event. Last year he broke the record, weighing in just over 33 pounds at Lake Lewisville!
Golf is for guys whose wives won't let them buy a bass boat

Bass Fishing is like Church, many attend - Few get it.

bfitch

wow. i bet theres alot of pissed off people in texas, especially if he admits to cheating in all them other tournaments
They call me....noodle

Pillager

This is a big reason why TBF events have required boater/rider formats.
18' 2003 Crestliner 1850 Fishhawk
150 hp Merc XR6

It pays to be an optimist.  Even if you are wrong, you are happy about it.

"Quit bitchin, keep fishin"

I fish, therefore I am.

Basscat7

Quote from: bfitch on October 26, 2009, 05:49:39 PM
wow. i bet theres alot of pissed off people in texas, especially if he admits to cheating in all them other tournaments
You got that right.....How would you like to be the guy that finished 2nd to Him....He walks away with a 40/50 k boat....You get maybe 5 grand.......now You find out He is a certifed cheater  LOL....This guy will never be able to show up on a lake in Texas, let alone try and fish any tournaments.

Would not be surprised to read about Him being "found " somewhere or ending up crippled....

Basscat7

Bet These guys want a little piece of him after Losing out on $ 10,000

Re: The thing about cheating... [Re: Wanda] 
ay 
Outdoorsman

Loc: lewisville

My partner and I finished second at the Lewisville BBT last month and you know who won, fishing by himself of course and entering at the very last minute.

He won 10,000, we won 500 in BassPro Gift cards for Saturday event, which I am thankful for.

We have our finish posted up in his garage,(like a trophy) as we both believe that we won that event. Our first win as a team that we are darn proud of even though officially 2nd.

Glad we don't have to worry about him cheating the rest of us anymore.

Pillager

There was a guy caught cheating somewhere about a year or two ago.  He was charged with grand theft in that case and got jail time.  I don't remember who or where that was but remember reading about it.
18' 2003 Crestliner 1850 Fishhawk
150 hp Merc XR6

It pays to be an optimist.  Even if you are wrong, you are happy about it.

"Quit bitchin, keep fishin"

I fish, therefore I am.

fishinjim

funny post from page 48  :shocked: of the thread on texas fishing forums...
Edited for you Entertainment

Robby Rose and Robert Alexander win a Windy Lake Lewisville By: Skeetfleece
Bass Champs North Division returned to Lake Lewisville for their 3rd stop in this 2006 season. Robby Rose and Robert Alexander won with room to spare, weighing more than five pounds more than their closest competitor. This is not the first win for this team on Louisville, and all total this makes Rose's fourth Bass Champs boat win. 172 teams participated, and Bass Champs paid out more than $69,000 in cash and prizes - a total of 155% payback!
For the most part, the bass have spawned out and are now in post spawn mode. Those fish are already pulling back into deeper water, and with the recent cold front others are also pulling back. Water temperatures dropped about four degrees after the cool front, and for this tournament there was plenty of wind to go around. A lot of teams tried to stay on main lake points and structure, but were blown off their areas. There were high rolling waves coming across the decks of many boats.
Robby Rose and Robert Alexander won 1st place and talked about their day. "With some fish in post spawn and others pulling back after a cold front, we found most of our fish in a 4' x 4' cage hidden under a boat dock. Both of our bigger bass were caught on a Wednesday by my cousin on a Strike King worm. He caught several others on Thursday but they ended up dying in the cage. The key was to stay by the boat dock until no other boats were in sight. Patience was very important. We didn't get those fish in the boat until about 12:30, and they only weighed 17 or 18 pounds. When the sun came out, we hid in a cove and started shoving lead down our fishes throats. We finally got enough lead shoved in there and ended up with 23.16 pounds." They brought in the only sack over 20 lbs, taking 1st place winning the Skeeter 200 SX powered by a 200 hpYamaha motor valued at $34,000. Their kicker, 6.34 lbs also won Big Bass honors for an additional $1,000! "We'd like to thank Bass Champs for keeping the safety of their participants at the top of their list. We'd also like to thank our Lord & Savior for not getting caught.
Randy White and Mark Beedlow caught the 2nd place limit weighing 18.62 lbs. They fished shallow, catching their bass on spinnerbaits & crankbaits, 13 keepers. They won $4,000 for their 2nd place finish and doubled that to $8,000 being the highest finishing qualified Skeeter Boat owner team. They also received an additional $500 for the Fun-N-Sun bonus.
Rick Helmcamp and Dean Lathrop won 3rd place with 16.40 lbs. "We fished shallow water, along windy banks with rip rap. We were throwing really light white spinnerbaits with a flash of red in them. Some of our fish also came off of shad pattern crank baits. All day we caught about 11 keepers, some sand bass, and a few short ones. We had a limit in the boat by around 9:00, and caught a full second limit by 11:00. Our biggest weighed just over 4 lbs, they were all good chunks. As long as it was overcast, the fish were biting pretty good for us. Once the sun came out, they shut down." Rick and Dean were presented $3,000 for their 3rd place win.

fishinjim

btw...
how does the story go about the pro who was having his scuba diving brother plant boxes of fish near docks?  the boxes had holes in the top that the pro would have to work his bait into, then pull the fish out of the box?
can't remember where i heard the story.

Basscat7

Quote from: fishinjim on October 30, 2009, 11:43:43 AM
btw...
how does the story go about the pro who was having his scuba diving brother plant boxes of fish near docks?  the boxes had holes in the top that the pro would have to work his bait into, then pull the fish out of the box?
can't remember where i heard the story.

Angler X , as he  became known. True Story from a few years ago.  He came out of nowhere to dominate the FLW Pro trail.
Tony Christian,  was from Georgia, owned his own Roofing Company.  Did pretty well fishing the local clubs in his area. 
Jumped up to the FLW Pro Tour and Won an unheard of 3 or 4  of His first dozen or so tournaments entered.
Finished top 10 in  his first 30 FLW Pro TX's.

He is banned from ever fishing any FLW ( BFL etc. )  events.

FLW lawyers and His lawyers came to an out of court settlement.  The entire facts and truth of what He did was never made public.

His lawyers argued that HE broke No actual rule in the FLW rule book.  FLW apparently decided it was not worth the negative press to try to fight.
What was made public was He had placed large ( 60 gallon ) Rubbermaid plastic boxes under a dock on the lake the tournaments were being held.
The lids of the boxes had a large X cut into the top, and a small hole in the center, just large enough to drop a jig into.
A number of large bass were caught before the TX and placed into the box a few days before the TX.
Angler X would pull up to the dock during the TX, and knowing where the box was anchored in the deeper water under the dock, cast around with his jig until He placed it on top of the box.  Work the jig around until it fell into the hole in the lid.

Having been in the box , without food for a few days, one of the bass would grab the jig, He would set the hook, the bass would pull out of the box when the lid would flex from the X cut in it.
Bass would come out, lid would flex shut again.
He would fight the bass like normal, His Co-Anglers never knew what was going on, to them It looked like He was casting under a dock and catching fish.

Some anonymous person sent a video of a diver going into the water and under the dock in question with a mesh bag of large bass.
Once the lawyers became involved everything stopped.  His lawyers argued he caught fish by the rules using rod and reel.
The guy disappeared after His ban from FLW, which kind of speaks volumes of what He was doing.  He made no attempt to clear his name ( If He was not cheating ) , never made any attempt again to fish any other Pro Circuits.
If He was that good and able to catch that quality of fish as consistently as He did on the FLW Pro Tour He most certainly would have been back fishing on BASS or Anglers Choice, etc.

Here is an answer to a letter in 2005 asking about Why He was banned :

Josh,
Thanks for the info, I wanted to catch the show, but was busy. I
have heard all the rumors on BFHP and wanted to hear this ng's version.
It sounds the same as BFHP's. I do have a friend that works for FLW and
he won't comment on the situation, other than to say that FLW has never
given a lifetime ban for leaving your partner (one day tournament bans,
yes) and he also stated that some of what we are hearing is true.
Whatever this means......
I do understand why (if the rumors are true) FLW would keep it
quiet.
I think that a scandal of this magnitude would be
counterproductive for Bass Tournament fishing.
TC won 9 tournaments
(including the All-American)in 31 starts (29%), made $176,198, had 15
top tens in 31 starts (48%), all since he burst onto the scene in 2000.

In 2002 Savannah division (5 tournaments total), he won 3 tournaments,
got 2nd in another and finished 35 in the 5th.
What is more amazing is, he won big bass 3 times (only 5 tournaments) and made almost $15,000!!!
Because of these accomplishments, I thought this guy was "RoboBasser".

IF the allegations were true, the "average Joe" would figure that
it's just a bunch of cheating 'bubbas' and our sport would lose
credibility.
Jack
~~
Jack Dalzell
www.jdbass.com

fishinjim

yep, thats the story and the guy.
i almost want to give him a couple points for creativity. lol.

Basscat7

Quote from: fishinjim on October 30, 2009, 01:00:22 PM
yep, thats the story and the guy.
i almost want to give him a couple points for creativity. lol.

He was creative...almost as much as the guy that was stringing big bass on a trot line, then catching em in tournaments.

He had a heavy duty 100 yard trot line for catfishing. about every 20 yards on it He would have a big bass tied on the the trot line with 10 lb. mono. 

He was using  the round stainless steel shower curtain hangers , would clip one thru a hook hole in a bass bottom lip, then tie on a 6 foot length on 10 lb. mono and tie the fish to the trot line.

Bass would be able to move enough to breathe , tournament day he would wander into his area where He had the trot line staked out on the bottom.  Start throwing a crankbait around where the fish were tied up, once He felt the crankbait on the mono, He would reel slowly down until the crank  " caught " the bass........set the hook and pull hard to snap the 10 lb. mono.....looked legit......until He came to weigh in and forgot to remove one of the shower curtain clips from one of the bass.......failed a polygraph.

or the guys  down in Texas using the same 10 pound bass to win Lunker money in a few tournaments, would keep it for a " trophy mount "  then take it home and freeze it till the next TX. Eventually got caught when the fish wasn't defrosted enough in one TX.

fishinjim

Quote from: Basscat7 on October 30, 2009, 01:27:08 PM
or the guys  down in Texas using the same 10 pound bass to win Lunker money in a few tournaments, would keep it for a " trophy mount "  then take it home and freeze it till the next TX. Eventually got caught when the fish wasn't defrosted enough in one TX.

duh. :laugh: :tongue: